RED SOX NOTES (14-12)
MACHADO GOES OFF – After Chris Sale threw a pitch behind his ass in retaliation of Mookie Betts being drilled Monday night, Machado wasted no time in his post game interview to blast the Sox
The Red Sox got the win 5-2, but that didn’t stop Machado going off after the game.
“[Expletive]. [Expletive], bull—-,” he said “[Expletive] [expletive] [expletive]. Coward stuff. I mean, that’s stuff that you don’t [expletive] do. But I mean, I’m not on that side. I’m not in that organization. They’re still thinking about that same slide that I did. There was no intention on hurting anybody and I’m still paying, I’m still trying to get hit at. Get thrown at on my [expletive] head. They’re [expletive] throwing everywhere. [Expletive] [expletive].
“I’ve lost my respect for that organization, that coaching staff and everyone over there.”
The rant did not stop there.
“I mean, if you’re going to [expletive] hit me, hit me,” he said. “Go ahead. [Expletive] hit me. Don’t let this [expletive] keep lingering, [expletive] around, and keep trying to hit people. It’s [expletive] bull—-. It’s [expletive] bulls—. MLB should do something about it. You have pitchers out there with [expletive] balls in their hands throwing 100 miles per hour trying to hit people. I’ve got a [expletive] bat too. I could go up there and crush somebody if I wanted to. But you know what, I’ll get suspended for a year, and the pitchers only get suspended for two games. That’s not cool.”
THE RED SOX evened the series at 1-1, improving to 8-8 vs. the AL East…Club pitchers have a 2.46 ERA (29 ER/106.0 IP) in their last 12 games, the lowest mark in MLB in that time…Sox starters have thrown 6.0+ IP with 2 or fewer ER and 7+ SO in 7 of their last 8 games.
CHRIS SALE (8.0 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 11 SO) struck out 11 in his 5th consecutive double-digit strikeout game, allowing 2 ER on just 3 hits over 8.0 IP…Joined Pedro Martinez as the only Red Sox with 5 straight double-digit SO games (4 times, last 2001)…Is the longest such streak by an AL pitcher since his own career-long and ML record-tying streak from 5/23-6/30/15 (8)…Is now 2-2 with a 1.38 ERA (7 ER/45.2 IP), a .166 opponent AVG, and an 0.74 WHIP in 6 starts this season.
· Leads the majors with 63 SO, tied for the most ever through a pitcher’s first 6 starts with a team, joining Randy Johnson (63 with ARI in 1999; source: Elias).
· Struck out the side in the 1st inning, his 7th such frame of 2017…Fanned each of his first 5 hitters, becoming the first pitcher this season to do so (source: Elias)…Struck out 7 through 3 innings for the 2nd straight game…In 152 career starts prior, had done so only twice (5/28/12 at TB and 8/28/13 vs. HOU).
· Has thrown 7.0+ IP with 2 or fewer ER and 7+ SO in each of his first 6 starts…Is just the 2nd pitcher since 1913 to start any season for any team with 6+ such starts (Martinez, 7 in 2000).
HANLEY RAMIREZ (2-for-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI) led off the 4th and 6th innings with solo homers in his 22nd career multi-HR game and the first by a Red Sox hitter this season (last Ramirez, 9/18/16 vs. NYY)…All 5 of his HR this year have come over a season-long 8-game hitting streak (.379/11-for-29)…Has 4 HR in his last 4 games, 3 of which have gone 440+ feet.
· Since 7/20/16, leads the majors with 20 HR, 53 RBI (tied with Nolan Arenado), a .735 SLG, and a 1.150 OPS in 45 home games (min. 100 AB).
· Has driven in at least 1 run in each of his last 5 games (7 total RBI), his longest streak since 6/21-26/13 with LAD (6 games)…The last time he drove in a run in 5 consecutive home games was from 4/6-21/11 with FLA (also 5 games).
· Has 71 career HR to lead off an inning, 8 of which have come since joining Boston…This season, is hitting .360 (9-for-25) to start the frame.
XANDER BOGAERTS (2-for-4, R) reached on a 2-out infield single on a 2-2 pitch in the 5th, extending his hitting streak to a season-long 6 games (.400/8-for-20)…Has hit safely in 16 of his last 18 games with an AB, going 25-for-69 (.362) over that time…11 of his 27 hits this season have come in 2-strike counts…Leads MLB since the start of 2015 with 182 2-strike hits, including an AL-best 92 since the start of 2016…Added another single in the 7th for his 8th multi-hit game of the year.
· Leads the majors with 232 hits at home since the start of 2015, and by hitting safely in 134 of 174 home games in that time.
MOOKIE BETTS (1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI) drove in 2 with a 2-out double in the 7th, his 7th 2B of the season and 6th at Fenway…Is 4 for his first 10 (.400) this season with 2 outs and RISP, driving in 6 in those AB…Since the start of last season, is batting .403 (27-for-67) with 6 2B, 3B, 5 HR, and 40 RBI in those scenarios.
DUSTIN PEDROIA (1-for-3, RBI, BB) gave the Red Sox a lead with an RBI single in the 2nd, driving in his 1st go-ahead RBI of the season…Had 12 such RBI last season (last 9/25 at TB)…Played his 717th game at Fenway Park, tying Dom DiMaggio for 10th in the venue’s history.