BOSTON RED SOX 3, TAMPA BAY RAYS 2
Thursday, April 5, 2018 • Fenway Park
RED SOX NOTES (6-1)
THE RED SOX earned a 12-inning walk-off win to extend their winning streak to 6 games and improve to 6-1.
· Marked BOS’s 8th walk-off win in a Fenway Park home opener, first since 4/10/98 vs. SEA (Mo Vaughn grand slam).
· Was the latest walk-off win by innings in a Fenway Park home opener…Was the Sox’ 2nd-longest home opener by innings (13-inning loss on 4/12/66 vs. BAL).
· Have won each of their last 9 extra-inning games, including each of their last 2 games…Earned 10 walk-off wins in 2017, tied for 3rd in MLB…10 of their last 30 home wins (since 6/12/17) have come in walk-off fashion.
· Improved to 71-47 all-time in home openers, including a 12-2 mark in the last 14 seasons.
· When facing a deficit entering the 9th inning last season, the Red Sox went 5-65…So far this year, are 1-1 in such games…Have out-scored opponents 7-1 in the 9th inning and after.
· Marks the 9th season in which the team has won 6 of its first 7 games (last: 2006).
· Red Sox starting pitchers have posted a 0.86 ERA (4 ER/42.0 IP) through 7 games…Club starters have allowed 1 or 0 runs in each of their first 7 games, extending a ML-record streak of consecutive such starts to begin any season.
· Have not committed an error in any of their first 7 games, matching the franchise’s longest errorless-games streak to begin a season since 1913 (also 2013).
· Today’s game-time temperature of 40° marked the lowest for any Red Sox home opener since at least 1973.
HANLEY RAMIREZ (2-for-6, 2 RBI) gave the Red Sox a walk-off win with an RBI single in the 12th…Marked his 2nd consecutive game with a game-winning hit in the 12th inning or later (2-run 2B in the 13th on Tuesday).
· Also drove in the Red Sox’ first run of the day with a 9th-inning single…Has 6 RBI over his last 3 games, including 4 in the 9th inning or later.
· Since last year’s All-Star break, has 4 game-winning hits in the 12th or later (on 7/18/17 vs. TOR-15th inning, 9/5/17 vs. TOR-19th inning, Tuesday, and today).
· Including the 2017 ALDS, has reached base in his last 15 games, driving in 12 over that time.
DAVID PRICE (7.0 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 5 SO) struck out 5 and allowed 3 hits over 7.0 scoreless innings, his 2nd straight scoreless start to begin the season.
· Became the first Red Sox pitcher to hold his opponents scoreless through his first 2 starts of any season since Derek Lowe in 2002 (2 G)…His last consecutive scoreless starts came on 9/28/14 & 4/6/15…His last such starts in the same season came on 7/13 & 7/19/14.
· Extended his season-opening scoreless-innings streak to 14.0 IP, his longest such streak to begin any season of his career.
· Including the postseason, has not allowed a run in his last 29.1 IP since returning from the DL on 9/17/17 (9 G, 2 GS, 2-0, 15 H, 7 BB, 29 SO).
· Has not allowed a run in his last 19.0 IP vs. TB, his former club…Has allowed just 2 ER in his last 6 games (5 starts) against the team (0.47 ERA, 38.0 IP).
· After posting a 6.75 ERA (31 ER/41.1 IP) in his first 7 starts with the Red Sox in 2016, is 20-11 with a 3.21 ERA (99 ER/277.1 IP) in 46 games (41 starts) since.
· Is the first Red Sox pitcher in the last 100 years with 7.0+ scoreless IP and 4 or fewer hits in each of his first 2 starts of a season…The last Sox pitcher with consecutive such starts at any point was Clay Buchholz in 2013 (4/8-14).
JACKIE BRADLEY JR. (1-for-5, R, 2B) doubled in the 12th, his 2nd straight game with a 2B…Marked his 2nd career extra-inning XBH (also 4/16/14 at CWS, 2B).
XANDER BOGAERTS (1-for-4, 2B, RBI, BB) tied the game with an RBI double with 2 outs in the 9th inning, his AL-leading 6th 2B of the season.
· Marked his 11th career game-tying or go-ahead RBI in the 9th inning or later, including 4 last season…Only 2 have come with 2 outs (also 4/20/17 at TOR, 9th-inning single).
· In 5 games vs. TB this season, has hit .429 (9-for-21) with 6 2B, HR, and 3 RBI.
ANDREW BENINTENDI (1-for-4, R, 2 BB) singled in the 1st inning and drew 2 BB…Has reached base multiple times in each of his last 4 starts…Leads BOS with 7 BB.
· In his last 14 games at Fenway Park, including two 2017 ALDS games, has hit .333 (18-for-54) with 10 runs, 6 2B, 2 HR, 12 RBI, and a .368 OBP.