RED SOX NOTES (56-71)
THE RED SOX were swept by the Angels, dropping the 4th and final game of the series, 2-0, to drop a season-high 15 games under .500…They had not been swept in a series of at least 4 games since 4/16-19/10 vs. TB (0-4)…It is the 2nd time the Sox have ever been swept by the Angels in a 4+ game series, with the other occurance also at Fenway Park, from 5/18-20/62 (0-4).
· Boston tallied just 1 hit tonight, a 7th-inning double by Will Middlebrooks…It is the 2nd time this season the club has been 1-hit (also 7/24 at TOR)…They were last 1-hit at Fenway Park in a regulation game by the Mariners on 4/11/07, when Felix Hernandez tossed a complete-game, 1-hit shutout.
· Manager John Farrell challenged a pickoff attempt by Christian Vazquez that was ruled safe in the top of the 3rd inning…The call was overturned (0:34 delay) for the club’s 14th successful challenge of the season (14-13).
· The Red Sox have lost 5 games in a row, and 6 of their last 7 beginning on 8/15.
RUBBY DE LA ROSA took the loss, allowing 2 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks over 6.2 innings…He fanned 8 batters, matching a career high for the 4th time (last 8/10 at LAA)…De La Rosa has posted a 3.16 ERA (15 ER/42.2 IP) in 7 starts at Fenway Park this season.
· In 2 starts against the Angels this season, he has allowed just 3 runs over 13.2 IP (1.98 ERA).
YOENIS CESPEDES threw out Josh Hamilton attempting to score in the 1st inning for his 13th assist of the season…Coming into tonight, his 12 outfield assists ranked 2nd in MLB behind Jackie Bradley, Jr. (13)…Cespedes left the game in the 3rd inning due to a personal matter.
WILL MIDDLEBROOKS broke up Matt Shoemaker’s no-hit bid with a 2-out double in the bottom of the 7th inning…It was the only hit for the Red Sox tonight.
CHRISTIAN VAZQUEZ picked Howie Kendrick off of 1B in the 3rd inning, his 2nd pickoff of the season (also 8/2 vs. NYY)…No other catcher has a pickoff for the Red Sox this season…He threw out Mike Trout attempting to steal 2B in the 9th inning, and has thrown out 7 of 16 attempted base-stealers this season (44%)…Today is his 24th birthday.
ANGELS NOTES (76-50)
THE ANGELS earned their 1st series sweep since winning both games of a 2-game set vs. PHI from 8/12-13…It was their 1st sweep in a 4-game series since beating TEX in every game from 7/10-13…The Halos have won 8 of their last 9 games beginning on 8/12.
· This marked the club’s 1st sweep at Fenway Park since taking all 3 games from 8/21-23/12 and they have won 10 of their last 12 games at Fenway.
· Mike Scioscia and Albert Pujols were both ejected from the game by home plate umpire Andy Fletcher in the 6th inning…It was Scioscia’s 2nd ejection this season and 38th of his managerial career…For Pujols, it was the 6th ejection of his career and 1st since 2005.
MATT SHOEMAKER hit Brock Holt with a pitch to lead off the bottom of the 1st inning, then retired the next 20 batters in a row before Will Middlebrooks doubled with 2 outs in the 7th inning…He held the Red Sox to a career-low 1 hit over 7.2 scoreless innings, marking the longest scoreless start of his career and 2nd scoreless start of at least 7.0 innings this season (7.0 IP, 0 R on 7/26 vs. DET)…He struck out 9 and issued 1 walk…Shoemaker tossed a career-high 116 pitches (79 strikes).
· He allowed 3 baserunners total tonight (H, BB, HBP), joining CHC’s Jake Arrieta and MIN’s Kyle Gibson as the only visiting pitchers to allow 3 baserunners or less over at least 7.0 innings at Fenway Park this season.
· Shoemaker earned his 12th win of the season, becoming the 1st LAA rookie with 12+ wins since Ervin Santana went 12-8 in 2005.
· Tonight marked his 6th straight appearance allowing 3 runs or less beginning on 7/26, going 5-1 with a 1.57 ERA (6 ER/34.1 IP) in that span.