RED SOX NOTES (25-29)
THE RED SOX won their 2nd straight game on a walk-off, their 1st time winning back-to-back games in walk-off fashion since 7/31 and 8/1 of 2013 against the Mariners…It marked BOS’ 5th straight win, the longest win streak in the majors following a double-digit drought since BAL won 6 in a row from 8/29-9/4/04 following a 12-game losing skid…4 of the last 5 wins have been comeback victories and tonight marked the Red Sox’ 11th come-from-behind victory this season.
• Tonight’s walk-off triple by A.J. PIERZYNSKI was the 1st game-ending triple by a Red Sox since Troy O’Leary did it on 8/2/96…It was just the 2nd walk-off triple by a Red Sox since 1958.
• BOS relievers threw 4.2 scoreless frames tonight and the Red Sox bullpen has not allowed a run in its last 18.1 IP beginning with the 8th inning on 5/25 at TB.
• Red Sox manager John Farrell was ejected from the game in the bottom of the 1st inning…Bench coach Torey Lovullo was ejected in the bottom of the 4th…3rd base coach Brian Butterfield and starting pitcher Brandon Workman were ejected from the game in the top of the 6th.
BRANDON WORKMAN did not factor into the decision, tossing 5.1 innings in his 5th career big league start and 2nd of the season…He allowed 2 runs on 4 hits and 3 walks while punching out 4 batters.
• He has tossed at least 5.0 innings allowed 3 runs or less in each of his 5 career major league starts, the longest such streak by a Red Sox starting pitcher since Jim Wright did it in his first 5 career starts in 1978.
XANDER BOGAERTS went 3-for-5 and has now reached base in 17 of his last 18 games at .389 (28-for-72) with 7 doubles, a triple, 2 homers, 7 RBI, and 5 walks in that stretch…It marked his 5th multi-hit game in his last 7 contests (.452, 14-for-31)…According to Elias, he is the youngest Red Sox to ever record at least 3 hits in 3 consecutive games.
• Bogaerts has reached base 86 times this season, most by an American League rookie before the month of June since Ichiro Suzuki reached 97 times before the end of May with SEA in 2001.
DAVID ORTIZ, with a 5th-inning RBI single (1,681), passed Dom DiMaggio (1,680) to take over sole possession of 8th place on the Red Sox all-time hits list…He is now 26 hits behind Harry Hooper for 7th place (1,707).
A.J. PIERZYNSKI knocked a walk-off triple in the 10th inning, his 6th career walk-off hit and 1st since a double on 9/9/09 against the A’s while with CWS…It marked his 13th career go-ahead RBI in extra-innings and 1st since 5/25/13 at SEA with TEX.
• Pierzynski extended his season-long hit streak to 9 games, over which he is batting .400 (16-for-40) with 2 doubles, a triple, a homer, and 6 RBI….It marks his longest hit streak since a career-high 16-gamer from 7/21-8/15/12.
RAYS NOTES (23-32)
THE RAYS suffered their 2nd walk-off loss in as many games and have dropped 4 straight following a 4-game win streak…They are 9-6 in 1-run games this season and have lost in walk-off fashion 4 times…The loss snapped TB’s 5-game winning streak against the Red Sox beginning on 5/1 (G1).
DAVID PRICE held the Red Sox to 2 runs over 7.0 innings, but did not factor in the decision…He retired 11 of the 1st 14 batters he faced and did not surrender a hit until A.J. Pierzynski had a 2-out double in the 4th inning…Price gave up 6 hits and a walk while striking out 6…He has thrown at least 7.0 innings in 7 starts this season, no other TB starter has done it in more than 2 starts in 2014 (Alex Cobb).
• TB starters are now winless in their last 12 starts beginning on 5/17, going 0-6 with a 4.99 ERA (37 ER/66.2 IP) in that stretch…Price tonight recorded the Rays’ 5th quality start in those 12 games.
• He is 6-1 with a 1.95 ERA (16 ER/74.0 IP) in 11 career starts at Fenway Park…Price hasn’t lost a road game to an AL East opponent since 5/10/12 at NYY (11-0), a span of 16 starts (2.62 ERA, 32 ER/110.0 IP).
BEN ZOBRIST picked up the 469th RBI of his career, passing Carlos Pena for 3rd-most in club history.
WIL MYERS set a career high with 2 stolen bases tonight…Myers and Desmond Jennings are the only Rays to record multiple steals in a game since Sam Fuld did it in 2012.