STATE OF THE SOX: The Red Sox fell to the Tigers at Fenway Park last night, 5-1…Boston has dropped 3 in a row, including the first 2 games of the 3-game series, over which the club has been outscored 6-1.
· Last night’s loss put Boston 2 games below .500 for the 1st time since they fell to 15-17 with a loss to the Athletics on 5/4.
· The Red Sox have lost 4 of their last 5 games, with 3 of those 4 losses by 2 runs or fewer, a pair of 1-run losses, and a pair of walk-off losses.
GETTING ON BASE: Boston’s offense ranks 3rd in the AL with a .332 OBP and 171 walks drawn (3rd in MLB)…Sox batters have reached base a major league-high 242 times on 2-strike counts, and lead the AL with 146 2-strike hits.
· The Red Sox are averaging 4.07 pitches/PA, 2nd most in MLB to the Twins (4.11).
STAVE OFF A SWEEP: Boston is looking to avoid being swept for a 2nd time this year (also 3 games, 4/4-6 vs. MIL).
· Boston has not been swept by the Tigers in a multi-game series at home since losing all 4 games at Fenway Park from 6/6-9/83.
KEEP IT AT 3: The Red Sox have dropped their last 3 games, matching the team’s longest losing streak of the season for a 3rd time, 1st since 4/12-15…The Red Sox have not lost more than 3 consecutive games since an 8-game drought to end the 2012 season.
· Last year’s Red Sox squad was the 1st that did not endure a slide of more than 3 games since the 1903 club did it in a 138-game schedule…The 2013 Red Sox endured 5 season-long 3-game losing streaks.