RED SOX NOTES (20-23)
THE RED SOX lost their season-high 4th-straight game, falling to Detroit, 6-2…It marks their longest losing streak since they dropped the final 8 games of the 2012 season…Boston was outscored 13-3 over the 3 games.
· SHANE VICTORINO and BROCK HOLT each stole a base, tying the Red Sox’ season high for the 4th time with 2 steals total, 1st since 4/20 vs. BAL.
· The Red Sox were swept at Fenway Park by the Tigers for the 1st time in a multi-game series since losing all 4 games from 6/6-9/83…It was the 1st time the Sox were swept in any multi-game series at home since 9/25-26/12 vs. TB.
JAKE PEAVY gave up a season-high 11 hits over 6.0 innings, allowing 5 runs…He did not issue a walk for the 1st time this season and struck out 2…Peavy has now allowed a home run all 9 of his starts this season.
XANDER BOGAERTS has recorded multiple hits in back-to-back games for the 1st time in his career after going 2-for-4 with an RBI tonight…He has driven in a run in consecutive games for the 1st time since doing it in 3 straight games from 4/16-18 after going 17 straight games without an RBI from 4/25-5/16 (16 starts).
· Over his last 7 games since 5/11, Bogaerts is 9-for-26 (.346) with a double, triple, homer, and 2 RBI.
DAVID ORTIZ snapped his season-best hit streak at 10 games, going 0-for-2 with 2 walks tonight…It was his 23rd game this season reaching base multiple times, passing Mike Napoli (22 G) for the most such games on the team this season…He was intentionally walked for the 9th time this season in the 5th inning.
· He has reached base in 18 of his 19 home games since 4/8, hitting .300 (21-for-70) with 5 doubles, 4 homers, 14 RBI, and 12 walks in those games.
TIGERS NOTES (27-12)
THE TIGERS swept the Red Sox, their 5th series sweep of the season…It marked their 6th win in a row and 11th consecutive road win, their 3rd-best single-season road winning streak in franchise history and longest since a 17-gamer from 4/3-5/24/84…They improved their road record to 14-4 with a .778 road winning percentage, the best mark in the AL.
· The Tigers have won 7 of 10 regular-season games against the Red Sox since the beginning of 2013.
· DET pitchers combined to allow just 3 runs (2 ER) in the 3-game series with 19 strikeouts…The Tigers’ bullpen did not allow a run over 8.0 innings
· The top 3 hitters in DET’s batting order tonight (Kinsler, Hunter, Cabrera) combined to go 9-for-14 (.643) with a home run, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, and 4 runs.
ANIBAL SANCHEZ earned the win after being activated from the 15-day disabled list today…He allowed 2 runs (1 ER) on 5 hits and 3 walks (1 IBB) over 5.0 innings…He punched out 3 batters while tossing 80 pitches (56 strikes).
· Tonight’s win was his 1st of the season and 1st since 9/11/13, ending a streak of 8 winless starts.
TORII HUNTER hit a solo homer, his 1st longball since 5/3 at KC…He drove in a run for the 3rd-straight night and has now hit safely in 19 of 23 games dating back to 4/20 (.337, 30-for-89).
· Hunter is now hitting .320 (122-for-381) in his career against BOS, the 2nd-best mark among all active players to COL’s Justin Morneau at .338 (min. 200 AB).
MIGUEL CABRERA extended his hit streak to 9 games (.441, 15-for-34), the longest active streak on the club…He drove in 2 runs tonight, his 4th multi-RBI performance in his last 5 games…He has recorded at least 1 RBI in 7 of his last 8 games with 14 total RBI in that span.
· Cabrera doubled in the 1st inning, his 242nd as a Tiger…He moved into sole possession of 12th place on DET’s all-time doubles list, passing Norm Cash and Bill Freehan.
· He now has a .500 AVG (8-for-16) and 15 RBI this season with 2 outs and runners in scoring position.
VICTOR MARTINEZ knocked a 2-run homer tonight, his 10th of the season…It was his 1st home run as a visitor at Fenway Park since 5/6/09 with CLE…He is hitting .383 (23-for-60) since the beginning of May.
· He has hit safely in 19 of his last 20 games dating back to 4/25, with a .367 AVG (29-for-79) during that span.
IAN KINSLER went 4-for-5 with a 2B and 2 runs, his 1st 4-hit performance this season…It was the 11th game of his career with 4 or more hits (last 8/27/13 at SEA).