RED SOX NOTES (74-80)
THE RED SOX earned their 9th shutout victory of the season…Improved to 42-38 at Fenway Park with 1 home game remaining…Have won 13 of their last 21 games overall and are 30-22 since 7/30.
· Secured a series victory, improving to 9-3-1 in their last 13 sets and to 24-20-6 overall…Improved to 7-11 against BAL (5-4 at home), having won each of the last 3 meetings…Are out-scoring the O’s this season, 84-79.
· Earned back-to-back shutout victories for the first time since 4/23-24/11 at LAA (5-0, 7-0)…Posted shutout wins on consecutive days at home for the first time since 7/18-19/06 vs. KC (1-0, 1-0)…Shut out the Orioles in consecutive meetings for the first time since 4/20-21/05 at BAL (8-0, 1-0).
· Today’s game marked the first time in the last 100 years the Red Sox used at least 7 pitchers in a shutout victory at Fenway Park…The Sox last accomplished the feat at any ballpark on 9/13/15 at TB (7 pitchers in 13 innings).
CRAIG BRESLOW (2 H, 2 BB, 2 SO) made his first career start and recorded a career-high 4.0 IP (previous: 3.0 IP)…At 35 years old, became the oldest Red Sox pitcher at the time of his first career ML start (source: Elias)…Had made 522 relief appearances in his career prior to today’s start (2005-15).
· Has made 13 appearances of at least 2.0 innings this season, posting a 1.45 ERA and .198 opponent AVG in those outings (31.0 IP, 5 ER, 21-for-106)…Has a 1.85 ERA (10 ER/48.2 IP) in 39 career appearances against BAL.
RED SOX STARTING PITCHERS have not allowed a run in their last 13.0 IP…Have posted a 2.85 ERA (43 ER/136.0 IP) in the club’s last 21 games since 9/4.
· Red Sox pitchers have recorded 20.0 consecutive scoreless innings overall dating back to the 8th inning on Thursday night.
DUSTIN PEDROIA (1-4, BB) has reached base in each of his last 36 games against the AL East since 4/24, the longest single-season on-base streak for a Red Sox player against the division since Wade Boggs from 4/8-8/27/85 (45 games).
MOOKIE BETTS (2-4, 2 R, 2 2B, RBI, BB) has reached base in each of his last 29 games since 8/24, the 2nd-longest active streak in the majors (Joey Votto, 43) and the longest streak by a Red Sox since Mike Napoli’s 33-game stretch from 4/4-5/14/14…Has scored in each of his last 7 games, marking a new career high.
· Has 62 XBH this season, the most by a Red Sox player prior to his 23rd birthday since 1940, when Ted Williams (80 XBH) and Bobby Doerr (69 XBH) did it.