RED SOX NOTES (44-22)
THE RED SOX lost the homestand finale to fall to 44-22…Marks the 6th time in franchise history they have played their first 66 games with a .667 winning percentage or higher (also 1904, 1912, 1946, 1978, and 1986).
· Dropped to 12-3 on getaway days this season, and 16-5 in all series finales…Today’s loss was their first loss on the final day of a homestand (4-1).
· Fell to 4-2 in rubber games this season…Snapped a streak of 6 series without a series loss (5-0-1)…Their last previous series loss came from 5/14-16 vs. OAK (2-1).
· Have scored just 8 runs in their last 4 games…Have scored 3 or fewer runs in each of their last 7 losses, and have lost their last 14 games with fewer than 4 runs scored (5-14 this season).
· Went 1-for-11 with RISP…Over their last 4 games, are 2-for-37 (.054) with RISP…Left a season-high-tying 12 runners on base (also 5/20 vs. BAL).
· Have allowed eight 1st-inning runs in their last 4 games…Have surrendered 1st-inning runs in 13 of their 22 losses this season (59.1%), including 9 of their last 12.
· Are 12-12 when committing at least 1 error, compared to 32-10 in 42 errorless games.
J.D. MARTINEZ (1-for-4, R, 2B, BB) led off the 2nd inning with a double to right field, his 15th 2B and 37th XBH of the season.
· Is batting .393 (22-for-56) with 12 XBH when leading off an inning.
· Came around to score the game-tying run, his 5th in his last 5 games and 42nd of the season.
· Has reached base in his last 26 home games, a career-long streak and the longest in the AL this season, batting .367 (36-for-98) with 8 2B, 12 HR, and 27 RBI.
· Has 7 XBH in his last 5 games vs. CWS (.381/8-for-21, 3 2B, 3B, 3 HR)…Since 2016, is batting .388 (31-for-80) with an .800 SLG and 1.257 OPS in 23 games vs. the White Sox (20 R, 13 2B, 3B, 6 HR, 17 RBI).
RICK PORCELLO (6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO) fell to 8-3 this season despite recording his team-leading 10th quality start, including 3 in his last 3 outings.
· Finished the 6th inning for the 11th time in 14 starts this season, including all 7 home starts…The only other AL pitchers with 7 such starts at home this season are Corey Kluber and Luis Severino (7 each).
· Has allowed 5 unearned runs in his last 4 starts…The last Red Sox pitcher to allow at least 1 unearned run in 4 straight starts was Tim Wakefield in 2010 (also 4).
· Issued his first bases-loaded walk since 6/28/2016 at TB…Was just his 9th career such walk, including 3 in his last 5 seasons combined (2014-18).
· Has 3 straight starts with exactly 5 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, and 5 strikeouts…Is the only pitcher since at least 1908 with those exact totals in 3 straight starts.
RAFAEL DEVERS (1-for-2, RBI, BB) drove in a game-tying run with a single in the 2nd…Added a walk in the 6th.
· Extended his hitting streak to a season-high-tying 5 games (3rd time, last 4/15-20)…Is 6-for-17 (.353) with a run, 2 2B, RBI over the streak.
· Marked his 7th game-tying RBI of the season, first since 5/19 vs. BAL…His 29 RBI are 1 shy of his total from last season.
· Stole his 2nd base of the year and the 5th of his career…His first career SB also came at Fenway vs. CWS (8/6/17).