RED SOX NOTES (2-0)
THE RED SOX won their 2nd straight game to begin the year in walk-off fashion, clinching the series victory to improve to 3-2 all-time in series vs. PIT…Marked the Sox’ 4th shutout of 12 or more innings at Fenway Park since 1913 (last 7/15/71 vs. MIN).
· Earned their first walk-off victory in any season’s opening series since 4/11/90 vs. DET (10 inn.)…Is the franchise’s 3rd ever walk-off win within the first 2 games of any season (also 4/15/41 and 4/11/62).
· Have allowed runs in just 1 of 21 frames so far this season (1.29 ERA), holding PIT scoreless through 6.0+ IP in each game.
SANDY LEON (3-for-5, R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI) hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 12th inning, his first career walk-off hit and 3rd hit of the game…Fell a triple shy of the cycle…Was the Sox’ first walk-off hit since 9/15/16 vs. NYY, also a 3-run homer, off the bat of Hanley Ramirez.
· Has recorded at least 1 hit from either side of the plate in each game this season…Is a career .368 hitter (21-for-57) in 18 Interleague games, including a .417 mark (15-for-36) with a 1.337 OPS since the start of last season…Has 7 XBH in his last 12 such games.
· The last Red Sox catcher to record multiple hits in each of the team’s first 2 games of the season was Sammy White in 1954.
· 14 of his 18 doubles since the start of last season have come off of right-handed pitching…11 have come with 2 outs in the inning.
CHRIS SALE (7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 SO) made his Red Sox debut, allowing just 3 hits over 7.0 scoreless frames while striking out 7…Has not lost a season debut in any of his 6 seasons as a starter, going 5-0 with a 1.73 ERA (8 ER/41.2 IP)…Improved his career ERA vs. the NL Central to 0.89 (6 ER/61.0 IP) over 10 games (8 starts).
· Marked his 20th career start with 7.0 or more scoreless innings…Since he became a starter in 2012, only Felix Hernandez has more such starts (23)…According to Elias, the last Red Sox starter with such a line in his team debut was Eduardo Rodriguez on 5/28/15 at TEX (7.2 scoreless IP).
· Was his 16th quality start in 19 career starts in AL East ballparks…Lowered his ERA in the division’s stadiums to 2.04 (32 ER/141.0 IP) over 28 total games.
JOE KELLY (2.0 IP, H) extended his winning streak to 13 straight decisions dating back to 8/1/15…Marks the longest active winning streak in the majors and is tied for the 2nd-longest by a Red Sox pitcher since 1913…The only longer such streak belonged to Roger Clemens from 4/11-6/27/86 (14 wins).
JACKIE BRADLEY JR. (2-for-4, R, BB, SB) singled in the 5th, his 300th career hit, and again in the 10th…Has hit .304 (88-for-291) at Fenway Park since the start of last season…Stole his first base of the season in the 12th, improving to 23-for-25 in his career (92%)…Marks the best success rate among active players (min. 20 SB).
DUSTIN PEDROIA (1-for-4) singled for the 2nd straight game to open the season…Has hit safely in each of his 5 career games vs. PIT…Marked his 1,400th career game in a Red Sox uniform, passing Dom DiMaggio for sole possession of 11th place on the Red Sox’ all-time games played list.
ROBBY SCOTT (0.1 IP, SO) made his 9th consecutive scoreless appearance to begin his career, the longest such streak, all with Boston, since 1913.