RED SOX NOTES (13-12)
THE RED SOX fell to 7-8 this season vs. the AL East…Were shut out through 7 innings for the 6th time in their last 11 games.
· Walked 4 times with just 2 SO, their lowest SO total since 10/1/16 vs. TOR (also 2)…Their 159 SO this year are MLB’s fewest.
· Have committed 10 errors in the last 4 games after recording 13 errors in the first 21…Have tied last year’s single-game season-high 4 errors twice in the last 3 games (also Saturday vs. CHC).
RICK PORCELLO (6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 7 SO) tossed his 5th quality start of the season, and ML-leading 31st since the start of last year…Is 0-3 in his last 3 starts despite a 1.83 ERA (4 ER/19.2 IP)…Struck out 7 and walked none for the first time this season (last 9/19/16 at BAL)…Has fanned 9.7 per 9.0 IP this year (39 SO/36.1 IP).
· Was his 5th straight start vs. BAL without a BB, matching Ralph Terry (6/4/63-5/11/65) for the longest such streak vs. the franchise since 1913…Has thrown 6.0+ IP with 2 or fewer ER and 0 BB in each of his last 3 starts vs. BAL, the longest such streak by a Sox pitcher since Ray Collins from 8/5/1913-7/21/1914 (also 3 GS).
· With the 1st out in the 2nd inning, reached 1,500.0 career IP…Is just the 5th active pitcher to reach 1,500.0 IP before turning 29, joining Felix Hernandez, CC Sabathia, Clayton Kershaw, and Matt Cain.
· The Sox have not scored a run with Porcello on the mound since 4/9 at DET…His 4 straight starts with 0 runs of support tied a career-long streak (8/18-9/4/12).
XANDER BOGAERTS (2-for-4, R, 2B) doubled on a 1-2 pitch with 2 outs in the 3rd, and singled to left in the 8th…10 of his 25 hits this season have come in 2-strike counts…Leads MLB since the start of 2015 with 181 2-strike hits, including an AL-best 91 since the start of 2016…With 2 outs this season, is 7-for-20 (.350) with 2 BB.
· Leads the majors with 230 hits at home since the start of 2015, and by hitting safely in 133 of 173 home games in that time.
· Extended his hitting streak to 5 games dating back to Thursday vs. NYY…Marks his 3rd 5-game hitting streak in his last 17 games with an AB (.354/23-for-65).
ANDREW BENINTENDI (1-for-3, BB, RBI) walked in his first PA and singled in a run in the 3rd, his team-leading 31st hit and 15th RBI…Has reached base in a team-high 21 games, becoming the 6th Red Sox hitter since 1913 to reach safely in 21 of the club’s first 25 games at the age of 22 or younger (last George Scott, 1966, reached in all 25)…Has reached in 14 of 15 home games this season, and 9 of 10 career games vs. the Orioles.
HANLEY RAMIREZ (1-for-3, BB, RBI) drove in a run with an 8th-inning single, extending his hitting streak to a season-high 7 games (.360/9-for-25)…Has driven in at least 1 run in each of his last 4 games (5 total RBI), his longest streak since 8/30-9/3/16 (also 4)…Has not had a longer such streak since 6/21-26/13 with LAD (6 games)…The last time he drove in a run in 4 consecutive home games was from 4/14-18/12 with MIA (also 4 games).
· Ranks 2nd in the majors with 51 RBI at home since the 2016 All-Star break, trailing only Nolan Arenado (52).
MARCO HERNANDEZ (1-for-4, R, 2B) led off the 8th with a 2B to left, starting an 8th-inning rally with a leadoff hit for the 2nd straight night…Has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games (.333/10-for-30)…In 30 PA leading off an inning, is 10-for-28 (.357) with 2 BB…In the 7th-9th innings this season, is 6-for-17 (.353) with 6 runs scored.