RED SOX NOTES (54-66)
THE RED SOX evened their series record to 17-17-5 (10-7-3 at home)…Are 27-28 overall since 6/16…Improved to 31-30 at home, including 4-2 on their current 10-game homestand…Have won 7 of their last 10 home games.
· Are 8-3 this season against Cy Young Award winners, having faced Justin Verlander (2-0), Felix Hernandez (2-0), Cory Kluber (1-0), R.A. Dickey (3-1), and CC Sabathia (0-2)…Those pitchers are a combined 0-7 with a 5.51 ERA in 11 starts against the Red Sox this season (40 ER/65.1 IP).
· Hit back-to-back homers in the 1st (Ortiz, Shaw) and 4th (Bradley, Hanigan) innings…According to David Vincent/SABR, the Sox last had multiple sets of back-to-back homers in a game on 6/18/04 at SF (Ortiz/Ramirez, Nixon/Mirabelli)…The club last accomplished the feat at home on 4/19/94 vs. OAK, when Mo Vaughn and Tim Naehring went back-to-back twice (source: Elias).
· Have hit 16 HR in their last 7 games…Have scored 62 runs on 89 hits this homestand (10.3 R/G, .374 AVG, .672 SLG)…Are averaging 6.9 runs per game since 7/26 (22 G, 152 R), batting .312 with a .504 SLG in that span.
DAVID ORTIZ (2-4, R, HR, RBI) hit his 492nd career HR in the 1st inning…Has 20 HR in 58 games since 6/11…Needs only 1 more HR to tie Lou Gehrig and Fred McGriff for 27th place on MLB’s all-time list (493).
· Extended his hitting streak to 11 games, his longest since 4/20-5/7/13 (15 G)…Is batting .500 and slugging .976 during that stretch (21-for-42, 5 2B, 5 HR, 7 BB)…Has reached base in each of his last 21 games against the Indians, the majors’ longest active on-base streak vs. CLE (began 8/2/11).
· His 1st-inning HR was his 50th XBH of the season…This is his 13th consecutive season with at least 50 XBH (since 2002) and 12th straight with Boston, passing Jim Rice and Carl Yastrzemski for sole possession of 2nd place on the club’s all-time list (Ted Williams-15).
TRAVIS SHAW (1-3, R, HR, RBI, BB) has 6 HR in 23 major league games, including 4 in his last 6 games…The only other Red Sox in the last 100 years with as many or more homers within their first 23 games are George Scott (10, 1966), Sam Horn (8, 1987), and Bob Tillman (8, 1962).
JACKIE BRADLEY JR. (1-3, HR, 3 RBI) extended his career-best on-base streak to 11 games, during which he is batting .425 with a .511 OBP and .950 SLG (17-for-40, 5 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR, 7 BB)…Each of his last 8 hits has gone for extra bases (5 2B, 3 HR)…Has 4 HR in his last 8 games (had 5 HR in his first 188 career games).