RED SOX NOTES (63-72)
THE RED SOX continued a 10-day, 9-game homestand (3-2 thus far)…Improved to 36-34 at home, having won 12 of their last 19 games at Fenway…Are 36-34 overall since 6/16, including 19-14 since 7/30 and 11-6 since 8/18.
· Scored 8 runs in the 4th inning, tying their single-inning season high (also 7/2 at TOR, 1st inning)…Last scored that many runs in an inning at home on 9/27/14 vs. NYY (8, 2nd inning).
· Clinched a series victory, improving to 5-1-1 in their last 7 sets and 20-18-6 in series overall (11-8-4 at home).
· Improved to 4-1 vs. PHI and 12-7 against NL teams…Are 151-88 (.632) in Interleague play since 2003, the majors’ best winning percentage in that span.
DAVID ORTIZ (2-5, 2 R, HR, RBI) hit the 496th HR of his career, his 30th of the season…Has recorded nine 30-HR seasons (all with BOS), passing Ted Williams (8) for the most in Red Sox history.
· At 39 years, 292 days old, Ortiz is the 3rd-oldest player ever to hit 30 HR in a season, behind only DET’s Darrell Evans in 1987 and SF’s Barry Bonds in 2004 (source: Elias Sports Bureau).
· Has hit 199 HR at Fenway Park (198 with BOS), tied with Dwight Evans for 4th-most in the ballpark’s history.
· His 4th-inning HR was the 1,089th XBH of his career, tied with Jim Thome for 21st on MLB’s all-time list.
WADE MILEY (9.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 8 SO) threw his first complete game in his 130th career start, the second CG by a Sox pitcher this season (Buchholz, 7/4 vs. HOU)…Became the first Sox pitcher to throw a complete game with 0 BB, 5 or fewer hits, and 8 or more strikeouts since Buchholz on 7/13/14 at HOU, and the first to accomplish the feat at Fenway Park since Curt Schilling on 5/8/04 vs. KC (5 H, 8 SO).
· Carried a perfect game into the 5th inning for the second time this season (also 5/24 vs. LAA)…Retired his first 12 batters faced, 6 by strikeout…Has 41 SO against only 7 BB in his last 7 starts, including 23 SO against 2 BB in his last 4 outings.
· Has recorded a quality start in each of his last 4 home outings, going 3-0 with a 2.10 ERA and .183 opponent AVG in those games (30.0 IP, 7 ER, 20-for-109).
· Red Sox starters are 10-4 with a 2.95 ERA in the club’s last 17 games since 8/18 (36 ER/109.2 IP)…Have allowed 2 ER or fewer in 13 of those games.
MOOKIE BETTS (3-4, R, 2B, BB) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, the 2nd-longest of his career (13, 6/11-26/15)…Has hit safely in 19 of his last 20 appearances since 8/14…Is batting .349 and slugging .566 in his last 24 games since 7/27 (37-for-106, 10 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 19 RBI).
· Has 55 XBH this season (34 2B, 8 3B, 13 HR), the most by a Red Sox player in a season before turning 23 since Jim Rice had 55 XBH in 1975…The last Red Sox player with more XBH in a season before turning 23 was Tony Conigliaro in 1966 (61 XBH)…10 of his last 18 hits have gone for extra bases (6 2B, 3B, 3 HR).