RED SOX NOTES (83-63)
THE RED SOX earned their 83rd win, improving to 6-2 in their last 8 games and 10-6 in their last 16.
· Returned to 20 games over .500, tying their season high (73-53, 81-61, 82-62).
· Have won 71 of their last 74 games when scoring 6 or more runs.
· Drew Pomeranz became the club’s 2nd LHP with 16 wins this season…The last ML team with multiple lefties with 16+ wins in a single season was TEX in 2011 (Derek Holland & C.J. Wilson).
· Pomeranz’s start marked the ML-leading 95th by a LHP for the Red Sox this season, tying the franchise’s 2nd-highest single-season total (1951-106, 1983-95).
ANDREW BENINTENDI (3-for-4, R, 2 2B, 3 RBI) doubled twice for the 2nd straight game and added a single, finishing with 3 RBI.
· Leads the team with 15 games with 3+ hits…Has 6 2B in his last 6 games (.500/11-for-22, 4 R, 8 RBI).
· Was his 2nd game with 3 RBI in his last 4 contests (also 9/9 vs. TB), and 7th such game of the season…Has 9 RBI in his last 6 games.
· Leads ML rookies with 144 hits and ranks 2nd among AL rookies with 25 2B…The last Sox hitter to lead rookies in hits was Nomar Garciaparra (209 in 1997).
· With his 2nd double of the game, drove in his team-leading 11th game-winning RBI, the most by a Sox rookie since Garciaparra in 1997 (12).
· Since 8/1, is batting .322 (48-for-149), including a .358 mark (38-for-106) vs. RHP.
· Recorded his team-leading 8th and 9th OF assists, the most by a rookie LF this season…7 of his 9 assists have come at Fenway.
· Tied and passed Mike Greenwell (8 in 1987) for the most OF assists by a Red Sox rookie LF since Carl Yastrzemski’s 11 in 1961.
· Is the first Red Sox rookie with multiple outfield assists in the same game since 1987, when 3 rookie OF combined for 5 such games (Todd Benzinger, Ellis Burks-2, Mike Greenwell-2).
· In the last 10 years, the only other Red Sox LF with multiple assists in the same game is Bill Hall on 9/20/10 vs. BAL (2).
CHRISTIAN VÁZQUEZ (1-for-4, R, HR, RBI) tied the game at 1 with a solo HR in the 5th…Has 5 RBI in his last 4 games, including a game-tying or go-ahead RBI in each of his last 3 contests.
· Of his 7 career HR, 6 have tied the game or given the Red Sox the lead…The Red Sox are 7-0 when he homers…6 have come at Fenway Park.
· 12 of his last 14 RBI, and 16 of his last 20, have come at Fenway.
· Has posted a .389 AVG (35-for-90) in 27 games since 7/29 (min. 60 AB)…Is hitting .372 (51-for-137) at Fenway Park this season.
· Has reached base safely in his last 18 home games with a PA, a career-long streak…Has reached in his last 21 starts at Fenway, the 2nd-longest such streak at Fenway this year and longest by a Sox catcher since Jason Varitek in 2005 (25, 6/28-9/3).
· Is a career .345 hitter (10-for-29) with 8 runs, 2 2B, HR, and 4 RBI vs. OAK.
DREW POMERANZ (6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO) allowed 1 ER over 6.0 IP en route to his 16th win, tying Trevor Bauer, Corey Kluber, and Chris Sale for the AL lead.
· Has a 2.61 ERA (28 ER/99.0 IP) in his last 17 starts since 6/16, winning 10 of his 11 decisions in that time.
· Extended his home winning streak to a career-long 5 straight decisions dating back to 6/27…In his last 6 home starts, has a 1.29 ERA (5 ER/35.0 IP).
· Has allowed 1 or 0 ER in 13 of 29 starts this season, and 25 of 59 since last season (T-4th in MLB).
· Lowered his season ERA to 3.28 (58 ER/159.1 IP)…The Red Sox improved to 20-9 in his starts, including 12-3 in his last 15.