RED SOX NOTES (99-46)
· Will match a franchise record for consecutive seasons with a postseason berth (3, also 2003-05 and 2007-09).
· Their 99 wins are their most since 1978 (99) and tied for their 4th-most in franchise history…Have 17 games to play.
· Their magic number to win the division is 10, with the Yankees and Twins underway in Minnesota.
· Reached a season-high-tying 53 games over .500…The only other seasons ever in which the Red Sox reached 53+ games over .500 are 1946 (+54), 1915 (+53), and 1912 (+58).
· Earned their 44th come-from-behind victory of the year and their 10th when trailing through 6 innings…Have a 34-33 record when their opponent scores first.
· 7 Red Sox relievers combined to allow 2 runs on 4 hits over 8.0 innings of work.
· Have won 11 of their last 13 games against TOR and are 26-10 (.722) vs. the club since the start of last season.
· Their 99 wins are their most through 145 games in franchise history (previous: 98 in 1912).
· Are the 5th team in the Expansion Era (1961-pres.) to win as many as 99 of their first 145 games, joining NYY in 1961 (109-53), BAL in 1969 (109-53), NYY in 1998 (114-48), and SEA in 2001 (116-46).
· Are the 17th team in MLB’s Modern Era (1900-pres.) to win as many as 99 of their first 145 games…9 of the previous 16 won the World Series.
· Have won 50 games at Fenway this season (49 on the road)…Their .714 home winning percentage (50-20) is the best in the majors.
· Was his 4th HR of the season, 2 of which have come as a PH (also 8/14 at PHI)…Has hit both of the team’s pinch-hit HR this season.
· Both of his pinch-hit HR this year have been game-winners…Is the first Red Sox hitter with multiple go-ahead pinch-hit HR in the same season since at least 1974.
· Is the first Red Sox hitter with multiple pinch-hit HR in the same season since Jonny Gomes in 2014 (2).
· The last Red Sox hitter with a pinch-hit HR with multiple runners on base was Mike Carp 5 years ago today (9/11/13 at TB, 10th-inning grand slam).
· Has 4 XBH in 13 pinch-hit PA this season (.364/4-for-11, 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB)…The last AL hitter with a PH 2B, PH 3B, and 2 PH HR in the same season was Matt Stairs in 2007 with TOR.
· Was his 17th career HR, 8 of which have given the Sox a lead and 3 of which have come as a pinch hitter…Was his first HR at Fenway since 8/13/16 vs. ARI and his first HR with multiple runners on since a grand slam on 4/8/16 at TOR.
· His 3 career pinch-hit HR are tied for the 5th-most in Red Sox history.
· Tied a season high with 3 RBI for the 4th time, first since 8/10 at BAL.
STEVE PEARCE (1-for-2, 3B, RBI BB) hit an RBI triple to center field in the 7th inning, plating the Red Sox’ first run.
· Was his 8th career triple, his first since 8/14/17 with TOR vs. TB…Was his first RBI triple since 8/11/12 with HOU vs. MIL.
· Was his 23rd XBH of the season, 13 of which have come with BOS…21 of his 37 RBI have come since being traded.
· Has 5 RBI in his last 4 games and 6 in his last 6.
· Has a .910 OPS this season, including a .940 mark in 39 games with BOS.
· Since joining the Red Sox, is 15-for-39 (.385) with 4 2B, 3B, 2 HR, and 8 RBI vs. LHP (1.202 OPS)…Over the season, is hitting .341 (30-for-88) with a 1.035 OPS vs. LHP.
CHRIS SALE (1.0 IP, H, 2 SO) made his first start since 8/12 at BAL after being activated from the 10-day DL earlier today.
· Extended his scoreless-innings streak to a career-long 29.0 IP, passing his previous career-long streak (28.0 IP, 5/6-6/2/13)…Marks the longest scoreless-innings streak in the majors this season…Last allowed a run in the 2nd inning on 7/6 at KC.
· Also extended his career-long homerless streak to 69.0 IP…Marks the 2nd-longest streak in the majors this season (Patrick Corbin, 73. IP, 6/22-8/21)…Last allowed a HR in the 3rd inning of his start on 6/1 at HOU.
· Leads the AL with a 1.96 ERA (32 ER/147.0 IP)…Has allowed just 1 run in 45.0 IP over his last 8 starts (0.20 ERA).