STATE OF THE SOX: Tonight the Red Sox continue a 6-game homestand (1-0 thus far) with the 2nd of 3 against the Rangers…The Angels come to town for 3 on Friday.
· Tonight’s game marks the Red Sox’ 4th attempt to return to .500 since they were last even at 12-12 following a loss on 5/2 vs. NYY.
· Boston has won 6 of 9 games dating back to 5/10…In that time, only the White Sox (7-2) have more wins among AL teams.
· The Sox begin the day in sole possession of 3rd place in the AL East for a 6th straight day…They are 2.5 games behind the first-place Rays and Yankees (both 22-18), their smallest deficit since falling 2.0 games back following a loss on 5/1.
CLOSE CALLS: All 11 of Boston’s wins dating back to 4/21 have been by 3 runs or less…It is Boston’s longest streak of that kind within a season since the team’s final 11 wins of the 2000 season (Source: Elias Sports Bureau).
· Boston is 6-3 since 5/10, with 5 of those wins decided by 2 runs or less and 3 coming in 1-run victories.
ON-BASE MACHINE: Dustin Pedroia has reached base safely via hit or walk in each of his last 23 games beginning on 4/24 (.299, 26-for-87, 14 BB, .392 OBP), raising his season OBP from .324 to his current team-leading .364 mark.
· Pedroia’s 23-gamer is the longest active on-base streak in the AL and the 2nd-longest current streak in the majors this season behind STL’s Matt Holiday, who has reached in all 37 of his games played in 2015…He is 1 game shy of the longest streak in the AL all year, a 24-gamer by MIN’s Trevor Plouffe (4/17-5/15).